Sunday, January 31, 2010

CHAOS

Ever have one of those days that would fit into a Lifetime movie? You know the tear-jerker that is too good to be true. Today was one of those days to me. It started off like a typical Sunday for me. Waited to the last minute and then had to rush around in order to arrive at the church building on time. Needed to make a DVD for worship and couldn't concentrate on it. Needed to be doing two things at once but couldn't focus on one. Didn't get through half of the lesson. It was beautiful.Yes BEAUTIFUL! It drives me crazy but I have learned to love it.The chaos is controlled and has begun to represent growth. If it was the same 5 kids up there that were there two years ago I would have been able to multi-task much easier. With 23 people up there it gets a little crazy.

The beauty isn't in the lesson. It isn't in the music. It isn't in the occasional breakfast treats. Not even in the Starbuck's that someone occasionally brings in for me. (Although there is beauty and energy in that amazing cup). The beauty happens before i say a word. The beauty happens in what the outsider would perceive as controlled chaos. You see when we all sit around and talk over each other I sit there and absorb the conversations. I hear the people encouraging a brother/sister who is in an unhealthy relationship of need to look at the bigger picture. I hear the group offer support for the person having issues at home. I hear one person talk about how God revealed himself to her during the week. I hear about the person who befriended the person at their school who doesn't believe the same way they do. This is the beauty. Young people living a life outside of the four walls of our building. They are not waiting to be ministered to; they are being the ministers.

Tonight the girl who decided to follow Jesus wanted to tell everyone about it. Sunday night I am the one who gets to baptize her. I am so undeserving to be allowed the role I play in this. I get just as nervous now as I did when I baptized the first person. I still get the lump in my throat as I announce the newest member into the kingdom. It didn't stop with her though. We had a 24 year old young lady decide to follow Jesus today. What a day for the kingdom.