Thursday, April 1, 2010

Paperweights & Jewelry

As I prepare for what has become the most intimate of "religous holidays" for me I can't help but wonder what it was like that night 2000 years ago. What would it have been like to wake upon that Thursday morning? How many times have we heard "if today was your last day what would you do differently?" or "if you only had 24 hours left what would you do?". As I look through the accounts of Christ life I do not see Him trying to fill His bucket list. I don't see Him doing anything out of the ordinary.

I do not believe it is by accident that we do not find anything out of the ordinary on Christ last day. He did what He did everyday; pouring Himself out into the lives around Him. That evening he ate dinner with his 12 closest friends. We have managed to mess this picture up. It wasn't just a quick meal. It was a feast, a celebration.

Imagine the pain that Jesus felt as He sat their knowing this would be His last meal with His friends. How much easier would it have been for Jesus to shelter his friends from the upcoming ordeal?

That is what is so amazing about that night to me. Jesus came to be with humanity. He came to see, taste, touch, hear, and feel all the things we do. But, not only did He want to experience those things for us He wanted to do it with us. He brought along this odd pairing of friends for the ride of a lifetime. What if we were to do the same? What if we are meant to bring the people in our lives into our lives?




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone