Monday, March 29, 2010

Designer Baggage

I enjoy shopping. I know that I will lose manpoints for admitting this but I have extra to cash in so I will be fine. I don't even mind just shopping for clothes for my wife.

However I hate shopping for purses or bags. How many different black purses can there be? They all serve the same purpose. On a recent trip I was stuck in the middle of the purses. Both sides of the aisle were lined with black purses. Big bags, small bags, shiny bags, cloth bags. Bags everywhere. $20 bags, $400 bags. But they were all bags. They all do the same thing. They all were designed to accomplish the purpose. We have put designer names on them and marketed them to the masses.

Driving down the road I passed a First Baptist Church, a Catholic Church, Lutheran Chuch, Methodist Church and a community church. I began thinking of the purses. So
many choices all designed to accomplish the same purpose. We have put cute names on them and attempt to market Jesus. What if we threw out all the labels and just followed Jesus? What would this place look like? No more competing over a share in the market. No more hiding behind a tag.

On earth as it is in heaven...These labels won't make it to heaven. They will remain here among all the other things we have added to Jesus' teaching.