Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter revisited!


Well now that Easter is a day behind us it is time to step back and look at what went on in my ever evolving mind. Church was good. My wife and I decided at the last minute to relieve the nursery workers so they could attend services. Wow what a bunch of work that is. Do not ever take those people for granted. I was ready for a midday nap way before midday. It was great though to see all those children there. We had 3 times as many children as normal. What a blessing.

We hear the Easter story every year and almost become numb to it. We see the movie and the dramas, hear the Sunday school lesson and sermons but never really sit and reflect on it. Of course He died for you and I. We somehow find ourselves almost worthy or expecting it. After all in our self righteuosness we deserve it, don't we?
We look around and know there are others who deserve it much less than we do. This year I really tried to paint a different picture of Christ laying His life down for us. I tried to show His love for those we tend to hate so much. I thought about those beating Him to a bloody pulp before the cross and imagined Him hanging on the cross and wanting them to really understand. My nature is to seek revenge . We throw around phrases like I would take a bullet for my family or friends or I wish I could take their place. Let me ask you this, would you take a bullet for the person you hate the most? Would you take a bullet for the very person thatt threatens your existence? Then ask yourself if you would do this knowing that they would still reject you after laying your life down for them? As I try to imitate Christ more closely I struggle with the same things over and over again.

I can not fathom a love like this. I am learning to love but have so much more to learn. I try to see people as He sees me but still struggle with this. Sure I love but do I truly love everyone or do I pick and choose the ones that don't threaten my comfort zone?