Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving


Dictionary.com defines thanksgiving as
–noun
1.the act of giving thanks; grateful acknowledgment of benefits or favors, esp. to God.
2.an expression of thanks, esp. to God.
3.a public celebration in acknowledgment of divine favor or kindness.
4.a day set apart for giving thanks to God.

As we get ready to consume a weeks worth of food in a 24 hour period and become so consumed with self I pray that we take time out to give thanks.  This year i have come to realize how fortunate I truly am.  God has blessed me with an amazing wife and two wonderful kids.  This weekend I was able to enjoy special time with each one of them.  I finally got a night out with my lady.  We went to a new restaurant and just enjoyed some time together.  Saturday I was able to see my son play his first game of the season.  He had a double-double with 8 steals.  He was amazing.  Daddy's little girl climbed into his lap and let him brush her hair.  I love playing with her hair.  We are excited to spend the holiday with some friends and family.

My mind begins to wander into reality at this point.  As i sit there and stuff my face I become oblivious to the fact that there are people all around me suffering.  People all around us sitting alone at a table remembering when the family assembled a feast fit for a king on this day.  Missing those that have passed away leaving them behind to go through life alone.  The single mom whose family has disowned her because she will be a disgrace to the family name.  The young girl who is being raised by her grandparents because her parents are both incarcerated for their crimes.  The young boy, who sits in the midst of his brothers, that feels useless because he will never hear a kind word from his fathers mouth.  We (I) become so self absorbed that we are blind to those around us.

As we scrape the excess off our plates and turn our nose up to the leftovers there is a man digging in the dumpster just to try to stumble across enough food to quiet the pains of an empty stomach or the mother that weeps because all she has to offer her children is some cereal and milk, no turkey, no pecan pie.  So while I am thankful as I try to see the world through Christ eyes my heart breaks and tears fill my eyes.  How can I selfishly be thankful for contributing to a self indulgent lifestyle?  How can a part of the body celebrate while other parts suffer?

This year don't just give thanks but be a part of a solution.  Invite someone to share your meal,  make a plate for someone and deliver it.  Give thanks and give yourself.  I hope to post a success story on how my family made a difference.  

God is Love!