Saturday, February 16, 2008

Farmers Market



Today we decided to hit the Farmers Market in Winter Park. In times past we did this because it was the cool place to go. Believe it or not I was able to purchase ostrich here on a prior visit(if you ever get the chance, try it, it is a very lean red meat). Today my purpose in going was to try to find healthier foods as well as to support the little guy. I have recently felt a responsibility to eat healthier as well as a need to be more enviromental. I also enjoy the thought of being able to help support an individual directly and promote independent business. I believe this was the first time my children have ever been. My daughter was more intrigued with all the dogs people were carrying around than the vendors. Connor was interested in all the free samples and obsessed with the thought of putting change on the train track and watching the train smash the quarter to twice its original size. (I should have never told him that story.)


We were able to find a booth selling hydroponic tomatoes that looked fake because they were so perfect. We cannot wait to slice these guys up and put them on some sandwiches and burgers. We got there kind of late so the pickings were kind of slim, but we also were able to aquire some "honeybell" oranges that were the best oranges I have ever had. There was so much to look at. There was even a booth selling catepillars and cocoons.

There were several vendors selling all sorts of foliage. I kept drifting toward the booths that were full of orchids but had good self-restraint and resisted the temptation. Not to mention I had just received an orchid for Valentines Day from my wife and another one the night before from a gas station. I am rather proud of the gas station find. It is huge and was only $10.


I decided to take my camera and didn't get any good pictures of the children but was able to get some interesting snapshots.