Thursday, April 10, 2008

Make an appointment to see the doctor?

9Passing along, Jesus saw a man at his work collecting taxes. His name was Matthew. Jesus said, "Come along with me." Matthew stood up and followed him.

10-11Later when Jesus was eating supper at Matthew's house with his close followers, a lot of disreputable characters came and joined them. When the Pharisees saw him keeping this kind of company, they had a fit, and lit into Jesus' followers. "What kind of example is this from your Teacher, acting cozy with crooks and riffraff?"

12-13Jesus, overhearing, shot back, "Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: 'I'm after mercy, not religion.' I'm here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders."




There is so much in these verses I don't know where to start. I will probably refer to these verses again at a later time to give them justice. I will focus on the company Jesus was keeping for now.

First let me say this. Matthew gives us a great example to follow. We try to "clean up" our friends before we tell them about Christ. We try to make them "church friendly". I have heard a song sung for invitation time and wonder if we mean it. The song tells us to come as we are. Do we really mean it? I sometimes get the impression what we really mean come just as you are as long as you are like me and don't carry too much baggage. Come as you are as long as you fit this stereotype.

Then Jesus says who needs a doctor? the sick or the healthy? Two points are to be made here. First the least painful for me is that Jesus came for those we write off. The drunk, the homeless, the criminal, the gay, insert your favorite group to be prejudice against. I am learning to accept this pretty easily. I have begun, (not perfected) to be able to see all people differently. I try to see them as Christ does and love them and value their life. The ones that I have the hardest time with are unfortunately those who label them selves as Christian but have no love. Sure they love their friends but don't cross them. If you do their inner demon is exposed.

That brings me to my second point. As I write this I think of people in my own church, my former church, and people in churches all over the world who are sick. I am not referring to physically sick and nor do I believe Jesus was. I am referring to those who have a diseased heart, a hardened heart. They have lost all ability to love. Christ came for them. He came to heal their hardened heart. Not only did he come for them but he came to heal those of us whose hearts have been wounded by putting to much faith and stock in religion and not our relationship with Him.

Christ came as the Great Physician but we have to make an appointment to talk to the doctor. As I write this I pray that we realize his purpose wasn't to sanction a religion but to save and heal humanity. He wasn't selfishly promoting an agenda but unselfishly giving up himself so all could be well. What are we doing? Are we here to help those who are hurting or to surround ourselves with those who make us comfortable?