Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sleepless in Apopka!

What a night! I was pretty much up all night with my mind jumping from one thought to the next. I wish I could just turn the old thinking cap off at times. Thoughts raced around my mind like cars on I-4.

Some were thoughts about how dysfunctional of a society we have become and how this is creeping into the church and destroying it. As we look at many of the families within our churches we see how dysfunctional they really are. For years many of us have said that our church was our family. Now even the church has taken on a dysfunctional appearance. Then we try to tell others that if they would only accept Christ they would have a better life. We expect them to have a healthy living relationship with Christ, someone you can't physically interact with, when we can't have a healthy relationship with each other.

My mind drifted everywhere last night but I spent a good amount of time thinking about relationships. I have already stated that I believe we see more and more dysfunctional relationships but I think we also see more and more relationships that are leaving people feeling empty. The results of this are divorce. I am not here to bash on divorce or even take sides. I am saying relationships are leaving us feeling like we are missing something. This is so prevalent in Baptist churches that many of them have begun to allow divorce men to be deacons. (A big no no in the past) This is not changing because we have had scripture interpreted better for us but because we have run out of men who fit the criteria. Not because we have advanced theologically but because of a digression morally.