Friday, April 18, 2008

The Outsiders

I love to always be different. My musical taste, however diverse they may be, are definetly not the norm. My sense of art, quite different than most. I relax by mowing the yard. I retreat to the noisy places in order to hear myself think. I have never been into all the popular trendy shows. (American Idol, Survivor, CSI) Refused to conform in order to be in the target audience. Maybe that is why I loved the book The Outsiders. I was forced to read it in high school and refused to allow myself to enjoy it. I still manage to love it and find myself years later reflecting on the book and some of the quotes in it.




There is a quote (I don't remember it exactly, its been a few years)about how you can see sunsets from both the rich side and poor side of town and they are still beautiful. Maybe this is where my fascination with sunsets came from. I could (and have made family members) watch the sunset on the horizon basking in the warm pink/orange glow as it fades from view. The whole point of the sunset in the book is rather you are rich or poor the sunsets are the same.

How true that is. I know I have talked about the men of the church having been neutered and sunsets are not very masculine but I disagree. But what do I know I also own a teacup chihuahua that plays dress up! But the sunsets are the same. Supposedly we have come so far as a society, as the human race but I sometimes if we don't feel that our sunsets are not better than someone else's because we feel we are better. I have never been much of a social activist and always felt that it was someone else's job to worry about. I guess through growing in my walk with Christ I have changed my tone quite a bit. I can't change the world but there are things I can do. I can start by changing my habits. I am trying to be more economically friendly. I am recycling more. I even bought some cloth bags for shopping.

I may not be able to financially support all the organizations that pull at my heart but I can try to raise awareness of them. My heart breaks for those who suffer around the world but also in our own backyard. I pray that God will somehow in His master plan provide me ways to minister to these people and share His love. There are those in our own neighborhoods that have never felt His love.

I recently became aware of a situation in Africa and would like to share their struggle in order that we all can join in prayer for these innocent lives. This pulls on your heartstrings especially if you are a father. Follow this link and learn more. www.cifkids.org