Tuesday, September 2, 2008

More questions than answers

I keep trying to find a way to start this and can't come up with anything clever so I am just going to ramble. DEATH. Today I couldn't seem to escape it. I started off the day doing work at Hospice of West Volusia where I saw people clinging onto the last days of their lives. Two families were mourning the loss of a loved one. They were recounting stories and laughter would occasionally break up the tears. It is weird but when a death occurs it brings out some of the fondest memories but the worse character traits out of a person.

Next I had to work in two nursing homes. One of them is the Ritz Carlton of homes, the other one not so much. But they both had the same thing in common, people will spend the last days, years of their lives here. I have always hated going to these places because I didn't know what to say or how to treat them. Today was different. I was actually wondering what it would be like to work there. I was really intrigued by the thought of working at Hospice. I don't want to be the guy changing diapers and bed pans (if you know me you know that this is not even a possibility with my wimpy stomach). I thought about what it would be like to be the guy who consoles the family. The guy who gets to hear about the joy the deceased brought into this world. I also wonder what it would be like to be the one who held the hand of so many as they enter eternity?

So a day that had so much going on stirred my thoughts. I have no ambition of quitting my day job (though I dream of it) to pursue it but who knows the doors that God may open!